Collections - Towns and Communities - Kemmerer

History of the Town of Kemmerer

For further information regarding the Town of Kemmerer,  please visit the "Wyoming Tales And Trails" website.

Kemmerer Cemetery


How Obtained:


From downtown Kemmerer, travel north on Hwy 189 (Pine Street).  At the intersection where Hwy 189 turns right, continue straight ahead on US 30 Alternate (Coral Street or Fossil Drive).  Just past Canyon Road on the left (south) will be the North Lincoln Cemetery Kemmerer  (GPS: 41.80087N 110.55331W)

Kemmerer Mine Newspaper Clippings

Kemmerer, WY Mine Explosion, Jan 1912
Posted October 27th, 2007 by Stu Beitler



Nine Are Injured; Those Injured Were Taken To The State Hospital At Rock Springs.

Western Newspaper Union News Bulletin
Kemmerer, Wyo. -- The explosion in coal mine No. 4 of the Kemmerer Coal and Coke Company at Willow Creek was not as serious as at first reported although five are dead and nine were injured, while nine others were overcome by black damp and were removed to a local hospital.

The dead are:
James Smith.
James Hansen.
Peter Hanlon.
Tom Dixon.
James Ward.

The injured were taken in a special train to the state hospital at Rock Springs. They are: James Doran; William Sullivan; Matt Tonich; Simon Edwards; William Cozock; R. Soto; S. Emino; James Botworth and John Bainton.

J. Quealey, owner of the mine, was at Laramie attending the funeral of his nephew when news of the explosion reached him. He returned to Kemmerer by special train and directed the rescue work, being assisted by State Coal Mine Inspector George Blacker, Frank A Manley, assistant general manager and James Needham of the Union Pacific Coal Company and W. M. Mooney, Superintendent of the Central Coal and Coke Company.

Although an exhaustive examination of the mine has been made, the officials have reached no definite conclusion as to the cause of the explosion. About two thirds of the shift had left the mine when the explosion occurred, although there were about 100 miners and others on shift when the accident occurred. The colliery is in good condition, the air fans at no time being out of commission.

Plateau Voice Collbran Colorado 1912-01-26

Kemmerer, WY Terrible Mine Explosion, Aug. 1923
Posted March 16th, 2008 by Stu Beitler




Kemmerer, Wyo., Aug. 14 -- (By The Associated Press). -- All hope of finding more miners alive after the entombment of approximately 138 workers on the 1700 foot level of the Frontier mine No. 1, of the Kemmerer Coal company, was abandoned, and the work of bringing up the dead was begun. Twenty-three of the bodies were brought to the surface on the first trip of the mine cars. They were taken to a temporary morgue here, where relatives gathered to identify their dead and claim the bodies. It was estimated that the final death toll would be approximately 100.

The explosion occurred in the vicinity of the 1700 foot level of the mine. Tonight rescue workers had penetrated to nearly every quarter of the underground workings, and it was indicated that they had now brought out all the men remaining alive.

Smoke-blackened embers of mine cars, buried in a cave-in on the 1700 foot level of the workings in entry 16, gave rise to the belief that fire had followed the blast which tore down sections of the roof, ripped up tracks on which "trip" cars are operated, and dismantled the electric wiring of the mine, plunging the smoke-filled depths into darkness.
The cause of the explosion is presumed to have been a blowout shot, according to a statement issued at a late hour today by the Kemmerer Coal company. The company declared in the statement that no fire had followed the explosion. At the same time the company announced that rescue work was continuing and that the final figures on the number of victims in the disaster would not be know for a few hours.

Some Rescues.

At 5 o'clock rescuers found a man lying in the main slope who was nearing death from inhalation of smoke and gas fumes. He was revived by a polmotor and brought to the surface, where he was taken to a hospital. He is expected to recover.

A short time later, two men who had hidden in a remote corner of a room off the main slope were taken to the surface, apparently not suffering greatly from their entombment. They had lain on the floor of the room, which is one of many hewn out of coal, in which the miners were working, to escape the gas after hearing the concussion of the blast, and had waited until fresh air had returned into the passageways.

Another man, found further in along the main slope, showed signs of life when rescuers reached him, but when doctors attempted to revive him, it was found that he had died.

In Main Slope.

Rescue workers reported tonight that the dead were lying in the main slope, where they had fallen, suffocated.
A check of the rescued shows that 26 were taken from entry No. 29, six from entry No. 28, three from entry No. 30 and two from entry No. 9.

JOHN PAVLIZIN is being heralded as a hero of the disaster here tonight. Unaided, he is credited with saving the lives of 26 fellow miners who were working with him in one of the rooms off the main slope. He had been through two such explosions and is a veteran miner.

Keeps Head.

When the workers heard the blast PAVLIZIN is said to have commanded the men to halt as they rushed for the door of the room toward the main passageway. Hurriedly PAVLIZIN explained the danger of after-damp in the main passageway and cautioned the men to remain in the room. Twenty-six heeded his advice and the others rushed out of the room to meet the death-laden gases which swept through the slope.

The 26, under PAVLIZIN'S instructions, are said to have barricaded themselves in the room in which they had been working, erecting brattices of bits of canvas and their clothes, to keep out foul gases. And there the rescue workers found them alive hours later, lying on the floor, none apparently showing any signs of suffering. As they walked down the main slope to the outdoors they passed the bodies of their comrades who had rushed unheeding to their death.

Little Damage.

Reports of rescue workers indicated tonight that there had been little damage to the inside of the mine. With the exception of one cave-in the interior is said to show little effects of the blast. Rapid extension of the "trip" tracks indicates that progress was fast inside the mine, and that the workers were not greatly hampered by debris.
The work of bringing the bodies to the surface, which began this evening, is expected to be completed by tomorrow.
Mine rescue car No. 2 of the United States Bureau of Mines arrived here this afternoon from Rock Springs, where it was intercepted after leaving here early this morning, and members of the crew immediately entered the mine to assist in rescue work.

Suffer By Fumes.

Nearly all of the men rescued were blackened by smoke and suffering from the effects of the inhalation of fumes, although there apparently had been little gas in the workings after the blast.

The greatest damage to the interior of the mine was done on the fifteenth entry, where six mine cars had been hurled by a cave-in which apparently followed the explosion. Rescue workers, who rushed into the mine as soon as the first indication of the disaster was given, found debris blocking their way.

They hurriedly called for reinforcements and began the task of clearing the main slope. The work required several hours and when the way at last had been cleared, it was found impossible to proceed further with the "trip cars." Stretcher bearers equipped with oxygen helmets and palmotors, then made their way through the dismantled section and further into the interior.

The first intimation the workers on the outside of the mine had that there had been a disaster was shortly after 8 o'clock this morning when long streams of black smoke began to issue from the ventilating fans, used to keep fresh air in circulation in the workings. An effort was made immediately to sound the electric danger alarm system with which the mine is equipped but the explosion had torn down the wires.

Hurried calls were sent immediately to Kemmerer at once, and volunteer workers rushed to the mine from other properties of the company and from the downtown section.

Held Back By Smoke.

Within a few minutes the first rescue workers went into the mine. It was filled with smoke, and their efforts were hampered. The first evidence that they obtained of the extent of the disaster was on the fifteenth entry where they found the body of a pumpman. A short time later they encountered the wrecked "trip" cars.

Meantime, company officials had begun mobilization of rescue and first aid forces on the outside of the mine. A temporary hospital was established in the blacksmith shop at the mouth of the mine, doctors were summoned and nurses were rushed to the first aid station.

Tonight, at least six physicians were working at the mine, four undertakers were on the scene and a dozen trained nurses were giving first aid to the survivors, and in some cases to bereaved women who thronged about the mouth of the shaft.

Although rescue workers declare they saw many bodies in the mine when they entered, they did not stop except to ascertain if the men were living. In some cases they resuscitated miners who were suffering keenly and carried them from the mine. In other cases they were able to help the victims walk out by guiding their footsteps.

Not Gas.

One of the first men to come out of the mine declared that the smoke had been suffocating, although apparently not gaseous.

Most of the victims of the disaster lost their lives through suffocation on the main slope, it was indicated. Those who sought isolated rooms or passageways, after the blast, survived in most instances.

P. J. Quealy, vice president and general manager of the Kemmerer Coal company took charge of the situation and directed rescue work from the surface throughout the day.

T. C. Russell, superintendent of the Diamond Coal and Coke company, who rushed to the rescue as soon as word of the blast spread this morning, was one of the first of the rescuers to enter the workings. He remained under ground throughout the day, directing the work of bringing out the survivors and locating the bodies of the dead.
Shortly after the explosion it was feared that rising water in the mine which is normally a wet shaft, would cause the death of any survivors trapped below.

The pumps, however, which had been put out of commission, were again put into working order this afternoon and the level was being pumped out tonight.